Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 1 11 8:37 AM

Tags : :

I discovered that shea butter makes a very nice creamy dark chocolate.They have been using it in Europe and Asia for years in chocolate production.

This was a microwave recipe I got from  a vegan website.

1/2 cup 100% pure and unrefined shea butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
A few drops extract of your choice( I used vanilla for one batch, and mint for the other)
(your sweetener of choice I used )1/4 cup truvia from the canister and 1/2 cup of fructose(adjust to taste, I like a more bittter dark chocolate)
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups cocoa or wonder cocoa

Melt your butters in the microwave. Start with 1 minute, stir and work you way up no more than 2 minutes. Add your sweeteners and pinch of salt. I took my sweeteners and pulsed them thru the blender first to give them more of a powdered texture to dissolve easier. Then whisk in your cocoa til you get a nice sauce. This could be used to dip fruit in as is, but I poured mine into a mold and froze it. Be advised altho the erythitol is easier on the tummy than the malitiol if you eat too much of it, it can also have a laxative effect.

Can also be done  with a double boiler and a candy thermometer for the chocolate purist.

These are a little bit gritty, but not bad. I think a liquid splenda would stop all that.They are fine for me and beat the heck out of what malitol does. They will be soft because of the shea butter, I think cocoa butter and lecithin(sp) make them harder.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

3 little words

Seniority Member

#1 [url]

Mar 1 11 10:55 AM

What is a shea anywho?   I always thought this stuff was a sun tan lotion oil additive only, so finding out it's edible is really interesting!  Why hasn't the world of wt loss folk been talkng up the use of this as another good edible fat source?  You order this online? Does it need to be refrigerated to keep fresh?  It's heart healthy?  Is it a decent price?  I wonder why Suzanne didn't even add it to her good fats list back in the day....like olive and cocnut oil?   How about the coconut oil ? Does it need the fridge?   so many questions... so little time.  LOL  sandi

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 1 11 1:49 PM

It needs no refridgeration, it is not super expensive. . It is a nut butter but they claim it is a fat from all sources I have read. My coconut oil is cold pressed. You keep it in the cupboard and just melt what you need. Your shea must be 100%  pure and unrefined.It looks very similar to cocoa butter in this form.  They used to sell it on Ebay all day long. Garden of Wisdom is a good source for this. As for the suzanne question, who knows lol? I do think as creamy as it is, it could be the answer to a legal butter cream frosting. Gonna try it very soon.

Here is an explanation I got from yahoo answers on what shea butter is...

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Shea butter comes from the African Shea tree. Its uses vary and can be used for a range of things.

You can sometimes find shea butter in chocolate as a substitute for cocoa butter. It can also be used as a cooking oil as well as hair and body products and has medicinal uses.

So yes it is safe to eat shea butter, obviously not the one you have purchased as it is ladled with several other chemicals and ingredients. If you saw shea butter in its original form im quite sure you would not know that it was in fact shea butter.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help