Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 11 11 1:35 PM

Tags : :

I think from here on out, I will refer to the “old Somersizing plan” as Pre-2011 Guidelines and will refer to the “new Somersizing plan” as Post-2010 Guidelines for simplicity sake, due to the fact that the book was released so close to the end of the year.

I think that maybe that will make things a bit easier when trying to field questions regarding the "old plan" pre-2011 guidelines for those chosing to stick with the older concepts versus the questions asked regarding the "new plan" for those deciding to go on ahead and implement the newer concepts of the post-2010 guidelines.

It is going to take me a while of reading-and-studying the changes before they all become second nature and then to keep the differences between the two in mind when trying to address questions.

There are new things to be learned!

Cathy

Seize the Day... It Only Comes Once... Live It!!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 17 11 4:48 PM

I've just read Sexy Forever.  I wondered if there would be an interest in a discussion group about reducing toxins.  Organic resources, toxic free makeup and body care products, cleaning supplies that are non-toxic, ways to make our own cleaning supplies, things like that.

I know there have to be great ways to do this without spending tons of money, ways we can create our own natural products. 

Just a question.

Teri

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 17 11 7:25 PM

Hi Teri!  It was Somersizing that got me in the health food store years ago and made me realize I didn't want chemicals in, on or around me.  I can't afford all organic right now but I do try to remain natural.  When I was on Paula Deen's website earlier I saw her niece has a section of natural body product recipes on there....  I use Bare Minerals makeup and some Tarte makeup products not cheap but they're not causing me to have cancer either!!  Vinegar is the cheapest natural cleaner for everything but I HATE the smell so I use Green Works for everything except laundry which I use Purex Natural for. And Arm and Hammer has a natural deodorant that works well.  I buy whichever natural toothpaste is on sale that month :)  If you haven't discovered Vitacost.com they're a great resource!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 18 11 6:53 AM

I use www.silknaturals.com for my make-up. You blend the shade yourself and it is bismuth oxychloride free . Many are allergic. She offers a glow powder that gives the same finish as BE. It is very good make-up and much less expensive than BE.The only chemically based things I use in personal care is mascara,eyeliner. Everything else is minerals. Daily chemicals are dish soap,dish washer soap,mr. Clean,toilet cleaner,and laundry soap. I have used natural cleaners over the years. Lemon juice,vinegar,tea tree oil. I probably will go back to them. Complaints about smell stopped it for the most part. The other chemical I use for beauty is hair color. I have tried the natural alternatives. Not for me. I color every 3 months. I know its bad.I stopped using chemical skin cleansers too. Currently the neutrogena naturals line. 97% natural. I also use pure jojoba oil. Cost is totally the issue with organics. Seems like the word organic alone jumps cost of most things.if I could afford it that would be all I used and ate.

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#4 [url]

Mar 18 11 10:13 PM

The discussion on Chem-Free and naturals is a Great idea, Teri. This one is one Cathy started for discussion of SSing before Sexy Forever bk. I'll start the thread as you mentioned so everyone can go right to it. For adding to your topic, then will move these 1st posts by Stephanie and Deinna there.

Back to SSing style before Sexy Forever: I'm glad for the MOST part, Suzanne left the basic plan "as is", so it's still fairly easy to separate the early version from her new additions. The MAIN thing is to try and eat *CLEAN* foods for less assault on our health. Sandi

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 8 11 6:09 AM

Thank you Cathy!!  Suzanne's newest book (I forget the name offhand) goes on and on about the joys of sweet potatoes -- something seriously funky under the old SS rules.  I prefer the older Somersizing method -- it works well for me. 

Love, Nutmeg :D

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 23 12 2:36 PM

You can eat sweet potatoes on the new plan??  Wow, I have only ever gone by the the old method I guess.  Yes, sweet potatoes were seriously a funky food, I'm going to have to get the newest book :)

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 2 12 11:17 AM

I'v been having problems finding a deodorant that doesn't have any of the ingredients listed on the Skin Care Ingredients To Avoid ( p.303 of Sexy Forever). I bought the Arm & Hammer natural (as mentioned above) and had t6o return it since the first ingredient is on the avoid list. That was even the case with Tom's deodorant. Has anyone found a "legal" deodorant that they like?

Thanks! 

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#8 [url]

Feb 4 12 12:46 AM

My favorite is plain bakig soda bc it's pure and no worries. You can mix talc with it but I just wet my hand sprinkle it on and rub hands together then apply and wash hands . It dries quickly, inhibits bacterial growth and best of all . . . No rash or clogged pores from those aluminum chlorhydrate types. It's been 20 yrs now since the switch. I recently bought TOM's brand and it is effective to a point. It has a stronger scent than I like, but clean. Not bad but a competition for my perfume. I'm typing on my ph which skips a letter now and then, so try and guess plz if you see spaces.   and if you DO try the baking soda... remember to pat it on with wet fingers GENTLY if you've shaved there recently!   surprise    Or you could use an alternate the first day after shaving.       smile      Sandi

PS  I read recently, that spraying vinegar and water will kill BO ...but how does one avoid smelling like a salad or grandma's cleaned kitchen?  LOL

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Feb 4 12 2:46 PM

Hello! I am new to the forum. I have SS off and on for the past few years...sometimes more successfully than other times! Unfortunately I am once again busting out of my clothes....ugh! I just brought home Suzanne's latest book, and have to say I'm confused. I read through a few of the threads here and have found them helpful, so I am reaching out for advice and encouragement. I am such an all or nothing person, that I think it might be best for me to stick with the old SS and familiarize myself with the new concepts a little later. Can anyone give me the "in a nutshell" cliff notes version about the major differences? Thanks for any info and support you can offer!

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#10 [url]

Feb 5 12 12:37 AM

Hello emgieg! I'm not good at nutshell summing up but I can express some of what's going on in my head. You may have read I've had one foot in the door here and one out due to lullsville and the snoozarama I enveloped myself in, by not taking the initiative to keep  it interesting for myself with new recipes etc.  I just got bored and lonesome. ...and confused as to what specifics to stick to my OWN self! LOL   So I guess we can still visit and encourage no matter what particulars we adopt as OUR way due to newness... age....hormones...etc.

I was really frustrated back when Suzanne shifted into the shadows and we all pretty much felt abandoned as she stopped the SSing speak on HSN, began selling her line of non-SSed products, putting recipes out for those products and then signing up her sales people from the boards who would go into the homes and have SSing parties to sell sell sell. Then she had a  health crisis and her attention veered sharply to all natural and another way to eat.... Cancer got her attention BIG time, but until a few of weeks ago in her interview with Dr Oz, I hadn't known she'd had a breast removed and not just a small part. When we were all wondering what was going on and why she'd turned on her SSer following, devoted as we'd been... she was going through some tough trials of her own. Anyway... it makes more sense to me now. The SSIng way ( old school) was effective but we knew hormones and age would have us tweaking as needed with time. Others found they had thyroid issue and needed to follow a different route.  Then the newer books came out with the expensive testing, treatments, and Bio Identical hormone testing and special drs to look up, then supplements, a drive for more fresh and less processed meats due to nitrates and nitrites..and then chemicals in every  area became the focus in the last book Sexy Forever.  All of it makes sense, but not all  of us can afford her luxury of get what you want when you want it health-wise, organic everything, Drs and infinite tests to determine what is needed.  ( Wouldn't that be FUn though?)  teehee  we can dream and we can move in that direction product by product, choice by choice, food by food. She's confused me i the past when she said she'd used HGH. Is that natural? She's had injections of her own body fat into places to plump them.. that's natural. She's had her own stem cells harvested to help her breast tissue grow to replace the removed breast, and that's both amAzing and natural..

Each of us must determine for ourselves if these things matter to us ( our carbon footprint, chemicals taking a toll on our bodies whether ingested or rubbed on in beauty products, etc), how much we can afford or NOT afford to go natural in food choices, or will we adopt ways and foods that are not SSed in order to get in what we know tp be healthy and ALSO strike a balance where we can STILL lose wt? 

I never bought this last book but checked it out from the library. I was all in a huff with the changes. I was still resenting these changes and confusion and couldn't figure out how to answer questions anymore bc ppl wanting to SSize would challenge my replies, due to info they'd gotten in the new books and it was and still is a head shaker from my view. I guess we can use the early SSing program to start out , then tweak as we've all done to personalize the plan, and even work in some Sexy Forever tips and suggestions too, without owrry of judgement here. I'm defintiely not in the mood to argue any points when someone challenges a discrepency between old and new. I found respite at the George Stella site and his Youtube videos on what to stock because mnost is familiar... just not used in a food combining way. Forbidden fooods to SSing are sometimes encouraged on Stella Style. So... I'm drawing from This, Stella Stule and even from South Beach. I don't want to switch to reduced fats on the whole so I'll continue full fats and combining to avoid insuklin spikes, but will eat nuts, avacados, dark choclate, sweet potatoes or pumpkin as I can worjk them in ( small amts)....and for the health they offer. I'll still avoid corn, white flour and rice, banana, beet, apples, grapews, peraches, plums, and oranges starting out but I'll also continue drinking my regular coffee. with no guilt. I know to drink it with full fats and not carb meals if I'm using the cream ..and I know for me the caffeine isn't causing an issue in spiking insulin...for now anyway.
Let me attempt the nutshell:

Basic SSing~~
follow the 7 basic rules as closely as possible
omit white things other than cauliflower
read labels to avoid added sugars...hidden sugars are typically in seasonings, dressings, flavorings
don't fret any tomato product that has a sugar count but DO avoid those with added sugars in the ingredient list
use protein powder to make bread subs
to lose well and quicker, avoid the fruits high on the glycemic chart and stick to berries if all kinds
Eat processed meats but try to buy the ones with a low suagr content,..as most of them do have sugar in the curing and processing....just eat them infrequently and in small amts
drink 8 plus glasses of water daily
avoid avacados, nuts...due to combo carbs and fats
avoid pumpkin and sweet potatoes and all other winter squash due to sugar content
avoid reduced fat dairy due to chemicals and salt they put in to make them taste better after removing the fats
no need to exercise
go to the old boards for reading pleasure in discussion on all things SSed and for recipes...still free to access.

Sexy Forever~~
Take  quality supplements
eat organic
eat fresh and not processed
get hormones leveled out with bio-idents
avoid chemicals added to beauty products and cleaning supplies
eat avocado, nuts, sweet potatoes plus the vast array of other veggies
drink coffee with caffeine
use batural sweeteners and hers is still tops on her list. ( Somersweet)..which I've heard is lactose based and that is what Whey Low products have as well * I buy the Diabwetic type bc it has an even lower glycemic count than theiur regular whey low
exercise
drink 8 plus glasses of water
drink her special juice
go to her site to buy things there, suzannesomers.com.   and it is a pay to use site
Use certain spices for health.... cinnamon, cayenne,tumeric, etc

That's my nutshell attempt. I'm sure others can do that better.

Hope something here helps         sandi

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Feb 5 12 9:35 AM

Thanks 3 Little Words -- that is a wonderful summary of the new and old Somersizing.  Personally I swear by the "old" way of SSing -- and find the new way too confusing.  Thanks again for clarifying!!

Love, Nutmeg :D

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 5 12 5:51 PM

As odd as it sounds, coconut oil works as a deoderant since it is antibacterial and bacterial growth is what caused BO.  Yes I use it for such purposes and so has a good friend of mine.  There is wonderful information out there about coconut oil that should be read by anyone wanting healthy oil .  It has the same fatty chain (med) that olive oil has but with a higher tolerance for cooking temperatures. Olive oil is only good uncooked as it oxidizes when heated and becomes not so good for us to consume.  It is becoming more availiable in regular stores and more affordable.  Always use the extra virgin organic.  I can now buy it at TJ's (national chain-not sure if I can use the full name on here) for under $6 in Oregon for a pint. Tropical Traditions (on line) has fabulous sale pricing with coupons on a regular basis. Thier web site is very informative and has recipes and beauty products as well using EVCO but I prefere just the oil. A little goes a long way on your skin and it feels wonderful. No greasy if used properly, soaks right into skin. Besides it smells good. In case you wonder, I am premenopausal and the hotflashes cause a lot of sweating so if it works thru that just fine, I think it would work well under normal circumstances, lol.  I also use it on my feet---wonderful stuff!  Compare the price with what all those fancy face creams cost!

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#14 [url]

Feb 6 12 12:28 PM

Nutmeg, Carol, and Plum,
I heard back from Daisy after sending a PM this week-end and she is still enjoying the book about Intuitive Eating. You simply learn to tune into your body's needs and go with that.  ( easier said than done, for me, with the emotional eating I'm prone to do).  It's important to sort out  true hunger /need  from reaction eating and possible confusion with thirst or fatigue. I haven't read it , but I'm mentioning it becuase she's thrilled with her results. Plus.... you can SSing while implementing the ideas.  I'm not following the SSing time frame between meals bc I am not eating carb meals on their own at this point.    I eat when I get hungry too, but make sure it's all the right things. There are funkires in our house bc DH is not restricting white carbs and he eats some vegies I don't allow myselff...but his metabolism can handle it.  I just try to keep those funkies out of sight and apart form what I eat. 

Last night,  we had shredded Tex Mex pot roast ( hubby's as a slider on a roll), then smoked Kilbosa , cut up and wrapped in bacon ( tacked on with toothpicks), then coated in Whey Low Gold (low glycemic brown sugar I use instead of reg brown sugar) , baked and then broiled at the end of the time to crisp more, and then I made Bruchetta..and no..THAT wasn't SSed. but it was healthy and I didn't eat much of it.  No guilt at all. 

I love the tips on the oils, plumhappy! Does the coconut oil have a scent of coconu t? I like that to a point, but as with the tanning lotions I used to use, that scent can get tiring. Is it something faint or noticeable? You can mention Trader Joe's on this forum. If you run a search on it here on the forum, you will find several mentions of what ppl find and enjoy buying from theirs. Wishing we had one here. They seem to have it all and while I'm on TJ's ... I hear the Joseph's sf syrup is there and it's THE ONE sf syrup that has spanned time with raves  ...even on the old boards.  You can also buy it online.  I hope to try it soon.

I'm planning to make dipped strawberries  for us for Valentine's , but using George Stellas, choc bark recipe ( with Bakers Baking choc).  This treat will be JUST THAT... a special thing and not a mainstay. DH ordered some from a co  for me last yr and they were great, but laden with sugar and pricey.  This time, I will make them  SF or low glycemic sweetened with agave . Berries have the lowest glycemic count of fruits too, so it's not so much a blow while trying to drop pounds.   Enjoy life and living as you SSize. No deprivation. Everything in perspective . I heard this morning on Martah Stewart's XM station ( XM110) that eating on a child's plate ( smaller) helps, and if it is a blue plate, that will suppress appetite, and then to eat with you less dominant hand, in front of a mirror sometimes, and while listening to bad music . These are all psychological things that re-train the brain to different eating patterns. Add Daisy's Intuitive Eating book choice, and you may find a better balance as you dine.

I'm bummed today after hearing our son has gone back with someone who is totally scarey and unhealthy for him.....  to the point of attacking him months ago when she was off her meds and causing him to get stitches. He was, to the day, set and ready for the divorce to be fina 2 wks agol, when he found reasons to skip the court date.   I'm not expressing what I feel or think. His life, his business...our grief. I feel a HUGE loss today. A numbing sadness.  So... food comfort is what I'm avoiding...no appetite today anyway, with this NEW news, but I know ME and how Itypically seek solace.  I also got a pinto bean sized shard of glass in my foot yesterday and it's sore today, so I'm not getting my usual things done around here. I'm distracted.   My pattern is mindless eating when family concerns come up...Alzheimer's diagnosis  for my Mom 2 yrs ago and her relocation to another state since my sis is her POA, then when our son was a Marine in Iraq , and even for the happier news of our DD graduating college or her  engagement in Oct..and now wedding plans.  Food, somehow became my go-to, while growing up, if things went off kilter.  Breaking those habits involves more than just having the workable SSed plan to follow.  Add to that, a friend stopping by this morning with an edible Valentine treat she made from a pinterest idea... so cute and thoughtful... one for hubby and one for me... and I'm reminded that a teensy taste will warrant an honest response/acknowledgement of enjoying her gift, but knowing they will BOTH be hubby's to enjoy.   That's another part of normal life.....OR.... if I want it, I will eat it and feeel NO guilt..and then go right back on plan. I have options and that's what real life should be too.

So... on a lighter note...... find positive things to fill in the spaces between the hurried schedules or stressful times.  Music,a walk,  humorous movies or dvds of a fave commedian, Pinterest  / find some Valentine ideas you can make for others or a new way to deco the house, buying at least one new something you've wanted ot try... whether a new pricier cheese, or a new nail polish or treatment.  EVOO can be one way to treat yourself, as plum mentioned and that sounds good to me! That and a call to my Mom!  grin  heart

Have a great week, everyone!    sandi 

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 9 12 9:39 AM

Thanks Sandi – I discovered SSing 4-5 yrs ago and did very well with the program. I just got used to what I could and couldn’t do.  I’m 55 and a grandma.  I enjoyed the products I purchased from her website especially the fudge and caramel sauce.  It just did the trick when I was trying to get off sugar and now don’t even need those.  Unfortunately, I regained my lost weight when I went back to my old carb heavy woe.  I’m back but with changes that have evolved much as her plan has. My blood levels require me to eat less animal fat so while I pretty much stick with he old plan, gone are the berries with heavy cream (something I ate a lot), heavy bacon or sausage morning meals.  I now stick to a couple of eggs (yes I use butter) perhaps a slice of Canadian bacon or a small patty of chicken sausage.  Usually I have a protein bkfst 3-4 days a week and the other days it’s oatmeal, old fashioned with some walnuts, cinnamon, perhaps a few berries, sugar free maple syrup, a splash of nf milk and hidden 3-6-9 omega oil.  I feel good and am losing again.  I could never master the whey protein breads I tried making, they just weren’t worth the effort for the taste.  I instead have decided to allow myself the sprouted grain products like Ezekiel make.  They supposedly do not have much effect on blood sugar levels and it works for me to have once in a while as a sandwich or a snack toasted with all natural peanut butter.  I also have added avocados to my diet, which I had missed.  I have figured out a way to eat out almost anywhere and stay true to my diet. I don’t have a problem Suzanne’s plan has evolved, we learn and grow everyday and find better ways of doing things. I do think her old plan was good for me as a base and because that is so ingrained in me it’s easier to stay true to the plan and not accidently sabotage my diet.  I can tweak it and still lose because I know what not to do.  I haven’t eaten any sweet potatoes as that just seems wrong to me but I bought one so that’s a start.

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#16 [url]

Feb 9 12 10:33 AM

Hey shag~~ I love all you outlined in what you're doing and I think if you have the time to post your eating out tips ( what works for you), then someone else out ther may benefit. It can be like hitting a brick wall when you're OUT THERE facing a menu and knowing it's a split second decision that can make or break that meal experience. Arm fellow SSers with some ideas of what to plan ahead on... then going in... they may feel more at peace with what lies ahead....THE DECISION.  Know what I mean?

For  Newbies:  salad dressings out ( since you can never tell for SURE what they have in theirs ( it's best to ASSUME SUGAR IS IN THEM ALL).......I  ask for sour cream and or mayo  and then pull out a seasoning container  I carry with me ( your fave flavors/ garlic pow, onion pow/ dried chives/ lemon pow/ dill weed, etc)...or ask for some mayo and mustard to mix one up at the table..adding sweetener can even yield a honey mustard effect.  Going without is frustrating, so ask for what you need or take what you need and enjoy that salad out!  AVOID ketchup out ALWAYS. Take small containers with you of legal ketchup if that's a must for your burger enjoyment , etc.  Heinz has a low carb one and we have recieps to make them....The same for BBQ sauce.  Make and take if you wish.

I like using Ezekiel breads sometimes.  Anyone reading will need to look for the orange wrappers and these are found in Whole Foods Markets, for one location...in the freezer or cooled bins. These are made from sprouted grains so are not going to do well out on the counter.  They have hotdog buns and sliced, as well as English Muffins.  

It sounds as though you've found your personal balance and that is FANTASTIC! Who could ask for more than that?  Wishing you continued success, Shag...and come back often if possible. It's comments such as you've shared that can really be a life ring for those seeking a tad of encouragement.

sandi 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help