Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 26 09 7:28 AM

Tags : :

I have just recently been brave enough to use cauliflower as mashed potatoes. I am not sure that I am doing it right. I was wondering if those of you who do this can give me some tips or advice.

I prefer to use fresh cauliflower..  I am not too big on fozen veggies.  

The couple of times I have tried to make them they seem to turn out to thin. can they be a little thicker like real mashed potatoes? also I did put them in a blender since I do not have a food processor ( its on my christmas list) and they weren't very mashable with a regular potatoe masher.

I guess I need help???

Thanks

Frankie 207.9/185.3/145

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

tracylee

Seniority Member

#1 [url]

Oct 26 09 8:00 AM

I used fresh too...it's so much better. All I try to do is get it soft enough to mash, then I mix it with butter and sour cream. I must admit that I never really get it the consistency of mashed potatoes, but it tastes good anyway. :)

Tracy S. 50 lbs to lose! www.website-editing.com

Quote    Reply   

saraoconnor

Seniority Member

#2 [url]

Oct 26 09 8:58 AM

I boil the cauli until soft, drain, then put in the FP with whatever's in the fridge:  I've used sour cream, butter, ricotta, cream cheese, cream (if needed to thin), mozzarella, costwold cheddar, parmesan, bacon, ham...all in various combinations.  Then I put them in a casserole, top with MORE cheese, and bake for 30 mins.  Mmmmmmmm

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 26 09 12:20 PM

sara when you make yours is there any certain amount of liquid, butter or sourcream you use. the first time I made them I think I over did it cuz they were almost like soup.

How long does it take when boiling to get soft?.. Knowing that would help me plan my meal better.

thanks for the tips

Frankie 207.9/185.3/145

Quote    Reply   

saraoconnor

Seniority Member

#4 [url]

Oct 26 09 1:40 PM

The trick is to drain off the cauli pretty well before putting it in the FP/blender, then just add the non-liquid things like butter (maybe 1 T?) and sour cream (a couple of spoons full).  After you process it, then you can assess if you need to add cream or some other liquid.  I rarely add cream because the cauli retains so much liquid from boiling.  It doesn't take too long to boil through- maybe 20 minutes tops?  Definitley less time than potatoes.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 26 09 3:28 PM

sounds like I should give it another try... I was a whimp afraid of trying it.. I tho't it would taste like cauliflower. but I was impressed when I finally did try it that it was really like mashed potatoes!

Frankie 207.9/185.3/145

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 1 09 6:09 PM

Oh my gosh Sara those look sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.  I am going to have to try your way of making them because mine are always to thin.   They definately don't turn out as good as yours!! 

Julie 253/246/170

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Jan 15 10 9:05 PM

Try steaming the cauliflower, rather than boiling it.  It takes longer, but the veggies absorb less water.  I put the florets in a strainer over boiling water, covered.  Keep the additions thick -- I just add butter and a touch of cream.  A food processor really works better because if they're thick they'll "stall" a blender.  Then stir in cheese, bacon, etc., if desired.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jan 16 10 8:23 AM

Seasamh has it right, don't boil the vegetables, it introduces too much water to them, steam them, then strain them(with a few good shakes) and/or lay them across some paper towels.

This works for Cauliflower and Celery Root quite well.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 17 10 11:21 PM

Sara's dish looks so yummy! I don't think mine could be any better...but I do LOVE my mashed cauliflower...it is one of my favorite dishes.

I can't give exact measurements, because I rarely measure anything. It's why I am a terrible baker. 

So, I start with a head of cauliflower, cut it up, and steam it till tender, but not mush. Then into the food processor. I add varying combinations of the following, depending what I have on hand...creme fraische, butter, cream, sour cream and some sort of cheese.  I add liquid if needed to thin (from the steaming water) or cheese to firm (cream cheese, laughing cow, or whatever).  Sometimes I add garlic and a bit of onion for bite. I usually add a bit of mustard, dry or preparted and a dash of nutmeg. And plenty of salt/pepper.  Lately, I've been using celery salt.  The amount of ingredients really depends on preference and the size of the cauliflower head.  Everybody who has tasted these has loved them.  I don't think they taste like potatoes, but they are delish.  I like mashing up other veggies like this. Broccoli works. I have lots of brussell sprounts right now...maybe I'll mash those.

Good eats!

Sally

Quote    Reply   

pudgybunny

Seniority Member

#15 [url]

Jun 9 11 6:31 PM

I prefer fresh as well and I chop a bit then microwave uncovered NO liquid added (or a splash of beef broth for flavor) for about 5-6 minutes. I now throw in my AWESOME Ninja blender with cream cheese, shredded cheese, seasoned salt, onion powder, and a pinch of parsley and blend. They do seem a bit more wet than mashed potatoes, but after you microwave if you can squish as much liquid out of the cauli it works much better. I think it takes waaay to long and is super messy to do so I just skip it lol. I make my own legal turkey gravy and serve that over the mashed cauli. I don't like mashed potatoes but it was SO delish with turkey and a side of green beans :)

~PBunny 230/202.7/170 *last updated 7/24/11 Goal - 180 by October 2011

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 5 12 3:20 PM

I agree, fresh is the only way to go.  One head made into faux mashed potatoes only lasts my husband and me 2 meals--we love it so much!  Anyway--I use butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon.  Even our son-in-law (who doesn't like cauliflower) loves this.

RobinG

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#17 [url]

Aug 19 13 2:04 PM

Hi Sunny  ~~  I have wondered about the immersion blenders and whether I should get one of those or the Ninja blender. With the small space it would require, I lean toward the immersion blender after reading your comments here.  Yrs ago when on the original SSizing site, DebB ( remember her?) had a thread all about kitchen gadgets and it was so much fun to discuss them, but I had decided even that far back, I needed a couple of carts to hold all the appliances for easier reach and access after trying to best use our cabinet space here.. I never nailed down any at that time that I liked very much but finally, a couple of yrs ago, I found  2 carts at Sams and asked for them for Christmas and my birthday. They are chrome and have 2 shelves and a rail around the top shelf with great castor wheels and a pushing handle.. These are  like right hand helpers to me! They house surplus china plates from my Mother's set, placemats, a rotisserie, waffle maker, tortilla maker, ice cream maker, crockpot,  the Kitchen-Aid mixer,  toaster, and with "S" hooks around the upper edges on one  ( from Home Depot), a set of cookware hangs which I don't like to stack in cabinets, a kitchen towel spare, extension cord for waffle time,etc. I know there's room for the immersion blender!  We use one to wheel our meals to various places we want to eat ( the deck, the porch, dining table,etc) so there is no carrying and spilling.  For anyone with cabinets like we have, the carts are a big help! ( High and deep.... pretty.hard to reach into at 5'4 1/2").  If anyone reads this and can get ideas of a way to make SSizing and daily kitchen  efforts easier, along with your immersion blender  and mico vegie steamer tips..it's all good!

One cauli tip I read, was to add a splash of either milk or lemon juice to keep it white while cooking, instead of getting a darker shade. I've tried both and each did pretty well. If color doesn't matter due to additions of other ingredients after cooking, no need for them.   I made cauli soup this week, but now you have me thinking about making the faux mashed taters again.. I haven't done straight SSizing in while due to the long plateau with iot after 9 yrs of shorter ones now and then. I'm still trying to find the right balance ,and have learned a few things from another plan. My heart is still with SSizing since it worked so well for me in the past.  Wishing all here BIG success with shedding unwanted lbs!  Sandi
PS
Just wanted to add that even though this forum is NOTHING like the early one with TONS of SSers sharing and posting daily for yrs on end, and the fantastic ease of using it, THIS one is ok and FAR better than another forum I have recently been on, where it is really hard to feel connected with others. The posts all come out in blogs there, instead of threads like these where you follow the topic of interest so easily ( from the side panel). SO NOW at least I have a better appreciation for how this one works. ( Still wishing it was set up for use like the old boards, but we can only use what's available, unless someone knows how to go about making a forum as the old way functioned).

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#18 [url]

Aug 20 13 10:38 PM

chefcary, Thank you!  looking forward to more info!  sandi

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help