Remove this ad

tracylee

Seniority Member

Lead

Oct 3 09 11:09 AM

Tags : :

lol...I just tried this recipe, and I swear I could eat these all day long. Perfect with a legal ranch dip. Really, seriously good flavor. I love this WOE.

This is a recipe I dug up from the old archives, and it was submitted by MsTified. Wherever she is, I thank her!

Baked Chicken Fingers by MsTified

Preheat the oven to 350°F

This is also great used warm or cold in a fresh green salad.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon chile powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper1/2 cup butter

2. Wash and pat dry chicken breasts. Cut into 1/2-inch strips.

3. Combine the Parmesan cheese and rest of the spices in a shallow bowl.

4. Line a shallow baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step or you'll be scrubbing the pan for a week.)

5. Melt the butter in a shallow bowl. Dip each chicken tender in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture, and arrange in the foil-lined pan.

6. Bake for about 20 minutes, and kick yourself for not having made a double batch!

These should be cooked a bit longer for a double batch. I'd guess maybe 5-8 minutes longer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

quinky

Super Poster

#1 [url]

Oct 4 09 8:22 AM

OOOOHHH looks like I need to get some boneless chicken breast. This looks so good & I needed to find an alternative to hot wings. Thanks Tracy

Quinky

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#4 [url]

Jun 13 11 8:33 PM

I made these tonight, but as I was reading the recipe, I realized the ingredients were pretty much the same as I have in the Like Lawry's Taco Seasoning mix  ( recipe under MISC, I believe)...postedf by DebB on the old boards and I moved it over. It's one of those recipes I like to doubvle or quadruple, knowing I will be using that seasoning steadily.  Being sugar free... it's a no-worry seasoning I can use on chickken, pork or beef......even in soups or sauces.

Tonight....I melted butter to coat the strips before coating in the seasoned parm, cut an organic breast into strips, mixed parm with the taco seasoning, and baked as directed. DH LOVED it!  This would be awesome chicken on a taco salad!.  I chose okra salad as the side:

Okra Salad:
wash okra  and remove tops, slice and fry in oil, then drain. Lightly salt.  ( I use sea salt)

While the okra is frying, slice some sweet onion very thin into strips, cut tomato or cherry or grape tomatoes into small chunks in a bowl with a lid. Add about 1 Tbs  dried parsley and 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.  Put the lid on and shake gently to coat. Place in the fridge to chill while the okra cooks.  Gently turn the bowl a couple more times  ( when you think about it) to make sure the vinegar is coating the vegies well to marinate.

Drain ALL the vinegar from the tomato and onion and toss the okra  with these JUST before serving. You can season to taste with more salt, if needed. 

This salad was such a favorite with all the family when I was growing up, my mom and aunt would try and make it after all the kids were in bed ( 8 of us )...only....... one of us usually smelled that wonderful fried okra smell ( made FUNKY with cornmeal coating, of course), and we'd come dragging in 1 or 2  sleepy heads at a time, wanting some too.  It never lasted long ( probably why they opted to make it late at night) ! LOL

It's possible to get that same enjoyment without the cornmeal coating...so give this one a try and see  what you think.  Regular white vinegar can also be used.          sandi      

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 15 11 9:03 AM

Gotta try this Sandi,  It does sound so good and chicken is one of my favorite meats.  I always can use a recipe for a new salad.  My dad was from Oklahoma and he liked Okra.  I do buy it pickled in jars and like it that way but have never cooked it fresh.  Thanks for all the great ideas.  Leenie

Leenie

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#8 [url]

Jun 16 11 9:01 AM

OHHHHHHHH! Leenie!  It's WONderful!! I like the jarred kind too.  = )  This frying along with the fresh tom and onion marinated in vinegar is a tongue dazzler! ( of course the funky cornmeal makes it extra yummo, but save that try for a cheat sometime. It would be minor, but worth the try!  Having the vegies chilled before draining and tossing with the drained okra, is one more dimension of how good this is!  I have had it left over and chilled, but of course, the okra sogs up doing that, even tho the flavor is still good. Make just enough for the current meal and if you're grilling, it's a terrific side dish!  I may need to make it again today!  Just talking about it gets me up and at 'em to make it happen on my plate!  One thing I started douing when I notivced others do it, is to keep the pointed ends bc they are just as tasty as the middle slices. Again..waste not, want not! It adds a few more bites to enjoy if you keep the tips!   sandi

HOOT! Trying to catch up in reading here... feeling like a fish out of SSizing water for now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Jun 17 11 9:44 AM

Sandi,
The way you fix it has got to be a whole new taste experience.  I don't even remember having it when I was a kid, just remember my dad liking it but then when I was a kid there were so many things I did not like. Too bad I broadened my pallet as I broadened myself.  Leenie

Leenie

Quote    Reply   

3 little words

Seniority Member

#10 [url]

Jun 17 11 8:08 PM

Americans just use food for ALL occasions and in big portions. ( we are victims ya see? And besides. . . It all TASTES so
Good!).

Anyway okra salad sounds good right about now! Sandi

Quote    Reply   

sunny1

Super Poster

#12 [url]

Aug 14 13 8:17 AM

lol...I just tried this recipe, and I swear I could eat these all day long. Perfect with a legal ranch dip. Really, seriously good flavor. I love this WOE.
This is a recipe I dug up from the old archives, and it was submitted by MsTified. Wherever she is, I thank her!

Baked Chicken Fingers by MsTified

Preheat the oven to 350°F

This is also great used warm or cold in a fresh green salad.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon chile powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper1/2 cup butter

2. Wash and pat dry chicken breasts. Cut into 1/2-inch strips.

3. Combine the Parmesan cheese and rest of the spices in a shallow bowl.

4. Line a shallow baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step or you'll be scrubbing the pan for a week.)

5. Melt the butter in a shallow bowl. Dip each chicken tender in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture, and arrange in the foil-lined pan.

6. Bake for about 20 minutes, and kick yourself for not having made a double batch!

These should be cooked a bit longer for a double batch. I'd guess maybe 5-8 minutes longer.

-tracylee

Tracylee:

This recipe was amazing! Thanks for sharing. I made these night before last and had the left overs for lunch yesterday. I was wondering if you had trouble with the breading on the underside not crisping and not staying on the chicken? I made these on a cookie sheet with a piece of nonstick "silpat" type stuff. I flipped them a couple of times and had to keep scooping the breading back onto the chicken. My end result was delish. I think I will just have to keep playing with the recipe. I also mixed different stuff into the cheese, according to what I had. I think next time, I will lightly soak them in the butter, I may have put too much butter, maybe try cooking on a higher temperature. I also thought about using a glass dish, instead of the aluminum cookie sheet. Any thoughts?

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 15 13 6:13 AM

Hi, 

I'm not Tracelee, but hopefully I can offer some help here. 

I am a cook at a restaurant, and we make "homemade" chicken tenders. You're right - the breading doesn't stick well. There is quite a bit of "loss". 

Here are a few things that might help, though, that we do:

When you put the breading on, press it into the chicken with the heel of your hand. Not 'grinding' it in, but pressing firmly. This allows it to 'bond' a little with the chicken.  I actually put the breading in a bowl, and cover the chicken with a large amount of the breading, and just press in with the my hand. 

Important tip here - refrigerate for at least an hour, spread out on a single layer, before baking. This gives the butter/breading a chance to get a little "solid", and bind together. 

Make sure you don't keep flipping them - the more you do, the more the chicken 'flexes', and the breading comes off. 

You could also use an 'egg wash' for these. Dip in raw beaten egg first, THEN the breading, instead of the butter. This will be a bit more "sticky", and hopefully hold the breading on more. No, we don't at the restaurant, because we deep fry them and it would get an "eggy" texture/taste to them. But for baking, it would be fine. 

hth,
Cary

Quote    Reply   

sunny1

Super Poster

#14 [url]

Aug 15 13 1:47 PM

Thanks, Chef Cary. I will be trying a new batch tonight. It must be hard making tasty chicken tenders at work and not being able to eat them! Hopefully they have something on the menu you can eat. I will try your suggestions. I also think I need to pay closer attention to making them all the same size. I had a few that cooked up quicker than the others. My husband, who is not on our WOE, really loved these too. So I'm going to make him some biscuits to go with his tenders tonight. Should be good! Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

sunny1

Super Poster

#15 [url]

Aug 19 13 8:59 AM

Chef Cary, Thanks again for the advice. I wanted to post my changes to the recipe here, in case anyone was having the same problem. I changed the oven temp. to 375 degrees. I was also very careful to cut chicken in very uniform pieces, so some did not get done more quickly than others. I still used my nonstick sheet on top of the aluminum cookie sheet, I was going to try a glass pan with foil, but this was just so much easier. The first time I made these, I dunked them all in butter, and I think I ended up with too much butter on each piece, so this time, I lightly dipped, right before putting in the cheese mixture. Then I did as Cary suggested, pressing the breading on very hard. I put them in an individual layer on a plate and placed in the fridge. I started the oven preheating after I put chicken back in the fridge. I only left the chicken in the fridge for the amount of time it took to preheat the oven (maybe 10 mins.?) Then I baked for 20 mins. I did not turn them this time, but I think next time I will try turning after about 15 mins, because the bottoms got really brown, probably due to the increase in temp. The increase in temp, however, I think helped keep the breading in place. They looked a lot better than last time and were a lot easier to deal with, since I did not have to scoop the breading back on, every 5 mins. I'm thinking about trying this with fish...any thoughts?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help