Lead

Nov 29 12 11:02 AM

Tags : :

This is a delicate blend of flavors I adore! It's my NEW favorite and I plan to make it for Christmas and before that when possible. I made it for the first time yesterday and it was gone by the end f dinner. choose your favorite greens or something you know is healthy but not particularly inviting to your sense of YUM, then dress it up with flavor you cannot resist. You win all around..and perhaps your family will catch on ..that it truly is a way to enjoy green good-for-us vegies.  Choose fresh or frozen...( I used frozen turnip greens with diced turnips, but kale or others will work just as well). Nuke your greens to partially cook them and then cool and squeeze out by rolling in paper towels or a clean tea towel and release as much liquid as possible so they are DRY.  Set aside until needed.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup bacon crumbles , set aside
2 1/2 Tbs bacon drippings ( OR butter OR evoo)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 cup liquid ( ie chicken or veg broth, heavy cream plus water) 
xanthan gum or other thickener ( use 1/8 tsp initially to thicken liquid, but adding more shopuld be done 1/8 tsp at a time and wait a few minutes between additions to allow thickening). A YUCK result can occur if not added in small amts like this!!!
4 cups partially cooked and squeezed dry greens
black pepper
sea salt, optional 
cayenne  red pepper  OPTIONAL...I added 2 light shakes
1/2 to 3/4 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese...or other hard cheese such as parmesan. (or a mixture of Swiss  which is similar in flavor to Gruyere,  and Parmesan and Romano in green canister)
breadcrums ( OPTIONAL..but can be addded to part of the dish for non-SSizers.....either plain or seasoned)
extra parm and Romano blend or Gruyere cheese, grated finely and sprinkled over top of dish

Directions:
Heat bacon dripping or other fat and add diced onion, stirring and cooking until translucent. Add minced garlic , stirring over medium heat 1 minute. Add liquid and begin thickening as described above.  When desired thickness is achieved, add bacon crumbles and greens , stirring to combine.  Add pepper as desired.  Sea salt may be added, but remember bacon will add some saltiness to the dish. Butter a baking dish and pour mixture in, spreading to edges.  Sprinkle on toppings you plan to use for SSizing or NON-SSizing. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven unco0vered for 30 mins.    ENJOY! It's a delightful delicately flavored dish of yummy goodness!                  NOTE: For Christmas, 1 to 2 Tbs diced pimento may be added for the green and red color theme, if you'd like.

Sandi